All summer, for lunch, my kids and I would eat either peanut butter and jelly or grilled cheese. That is what they wanted and that was what I made. When they started back to school, I had great plans for the grown up lunches I was going to eat. So the first day back to school, I made…grilled cheese?
I did change it a bit using what I had on hand in my kitchen.
2 slices of bread. I just used plain old wheat bread, but french bread would have been really good!
1 tbsp butter plus some for spreading on the bread
I cut up some onion…as much as you want on your sandwich
I grabbed a few sprigs of rosemary from my garden
a dash of thyme
1 tbsp flour
¾ C Red Wine…I used Hauser Estate’s 2011 Cabernet Franc
a slice of Swiss cheese – again, Gruyere probably would have been better but I don’t usually keep Gruyere in my fridge!
1. Melt the 1 tbsp butter in a pan and add the onion.
2. After the onion softens, add the rosemary and thyme.
3. After another couple of minutes, sprinkle in the flour and mix it in.
4. Add the most important ingredient…the wine!
5. Now reduce. This took about 10 min. You want the reduction to be thick enough to spread and stick to the bread.
6. Spread wine reduction onto the bread, and add cheese.
7. Butter the other side of the bread…like regular old grilled cheese and then grill until nice and golden brown.
Then enjoy. The great thing about this sandwich is you can match any of your favorite wine and cheese. I may be having Merlot and Gouda tomorrow.
Go be adventurous and enjoy!